|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Bake Time||40-45 Minutes|
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 sheets edible rice paper (see Baker's tips)
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 55g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 70g (½ cup) pitted dried dates, coarsely chopped
- 80g (½ cup) prunes, coarsely chopped
- 200g (1 cup) red glace cherries
- 100g glace ginger, coarsely chopped
- 140g (1 cup) unsalted pistachio kernels
- 155g (1 cup) unsalted roasted macadamias, coarsely chopped
- 115g (⅓ cup) honey
- 75g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
- 75g (⅓ cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- Icing sugar, to dust
Panforte is a traditional Italian confectionary packed with nuts and dried fruit. This one features ginger, pistachio and macadamias. It has a firm chewy texture and is rich and satisfying so you only need a small wedge. Serve with coffee or dessert wine after a meal, or anytime you need an afternoon pick me up.
BakeClub and Wiltshire would love to see your Pistachio & Ginger Panforte! Bake this recipe using your Wiltshire Bakeware and share a picture on:
Facebook by uploading a picture on your timeline and tagging @Bake Club and @Wiltshire
Instagram by tagging @bakeclub_australia and @WiltshireAU and using #bakeclubaustralia and #wiltshireau
- Confectioner's rice paper sheets are available from Asian grocers, delicatessens and specialty food stores. Don't confuse it with Asian rice paper that is used to make rice paper rolls.
- Before adding the hot honey syrup to the fruit and nut mixture, place a tea towel under the bowl to stop it from slipping when mixing.
- This panforte will keep wrapped well in plastic wrap in a cool spot for up to 1 month.
- We recommend using the Wiltshire Small Round Cake Pan 20 x 3.5cm
Anneka Manning has created customised recipes for all of her favourite Wiltshire Bakeware pieces for you to bake and share. All recipes have been tested to guarantee success for you at home. You can find the range in Woolworths stores nationally and selected IGA stores.
Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Brush Wiltshire Small Round Cake Pan (20cm, top measurement) with the melted butter to grease. Line the base with a circle of rice paper, cutting the sheets to fit. Line the sides with a strip of baking paper.
Sift the flour, cocoa, spices and salt into a large bowl, stir in the fruit and nuts.
Put the honey, sugars and water in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat, without boiling, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for 5 minutes. Immediately pour the hot syrup and vanilla over the fruit and nut mixture and, working quickly, stir with a wooden spoon until well combined (see Baker's tips). Immediately, press mixture firmly and evenly into prepared pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool in the pan. Remove from pan and dust liberally with icing sugar. Serve in thin wedges.