|Prep/Cook Time||20 mins prep | 4 hours chill|
- 2 Hot Cross Buns, day old and roughly torn
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 80g mini eggs, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 190°C
Place hot cross bun pieces on a lined baking tray. Brush pieces generously with melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Bake for 8 minutes until starting to turn golden, then turn off the oven and leave in there for another 8 minutes to dry out. Set aside to cool completely.
Transfer to a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
In a large bowl, whip the thickened cream until firm peaks form, then stir in 3 tablespoons of the condensed milk mixture and stir until just combined. Add the remaining condensed milk, vanilla bean paste, 3/4 of the hot cross bun crumbs and 3/4 of the mini eggs. Fold mixture until just combined.
Transfer mixture to a Wiltshire Loaf Pan and top with the remaining hot cross crumb and mini eggs.
Place in the freezer for 4 hours (or overnight) until the ice cream has set.
Serve in a large chocolate Easter egg half. Drizzled with a little caramel sauce.
- A no churn ice cream sets a little harder than a custard ice cream base, so take it out of the freezer 10-15 minutes prior to scooping.
- To make a chocolate ice cream base, omit the vanilla bean paste and combine the condensed milk with some melted chocolate prior to mixing with the whipped thickened cream.